Banned

Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

Linkon
Killing Spree

Banned

Post by Linkon »

CTC Admins

A buddie of mine was banned from you server a while back for using aliases i think...

He is part of the PUB clan a long time ONS and TAM competitive clan, and he wants to be unbanned, he posted a while back and instead of trashing CTC he calmly gave his explanation and was banned from the forums as well

Now i know that Aliasing is a rule on CTC servers and although most of us have broken this rule why does he have to be perma-banned?

imo one of the funnest things in UT2k4 was not making different profiles but being able to change your name, other servers do it and tbh your server is the only one that uses this rule.

now lets see if you ban me from the forums and lock this thread

cheers

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Re: Banned

Post by Mr Bean »

I believe the rule is there so we (the players) know who each other are. This is a community of friends here for fun times. There's no need for hiding.

Linkon
Killing Spree

Post by Linkon »

eh i wrote to much in my first post.... the question is

if he stops aliasing can he be unbanned?

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

I do not know Linkon's friend, but a permanent ban for aliasing and then defending yourself on that server's website is completely ridiculous. Even a week long "warning" ban is ridiculous, but at least someone can come back from that.

If you intend to ban people for aliasing, they need to be allowed to come to the website and ask why they were banned. I promise you plenty of newcomers to the CTC server do not know the alias rule. I also promise you plenty of people do not read the timed messages that show on the screen while in the server giving various warnings or thanks. In fact, other than the "Thanks for the donations" (paraphrased) message, I cannot recall a single one on the server.

Also combine that with two more facts. One being that various people use a multitude of aliases all the time and are not so much as glanced at, and, no, not all of them use voice so you can tell who they are. Another one being that the whois command is so well known and easy to use that aliasing really is not aliasing unless you get a new CD key to erase your name history.

lil Sin
Holy sh*t!

Post by lil Sin »

my personal opinion is why alias? if the rules state NO ALIASING then why go against the server and admins rules?

i feel if you cant follow the rules then the 3 strikes your out rules should be admid.

those that alias daily ? i back up admins decisions on dealing with them.

-T2-
Dominating

Post by -T2- »

IMHO.....give them another shot. There are numerous peeps on the server who I know from past lives. Everyone seems to be getting along from what I can tell (then again I am rarely on these days).

I suggest a hefty server donation. I am sure the the fine fellows/gals of CTC would appreciate it. And since I haven't donated in a while I will match whatever the donation from the un-named individual is. 8)

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

Point is, Sin, new people to the server, which I think Linkon's friend was, do not know about the aliasing rule.

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

I think I know who he is referring to, but I am not to sure if he got banned for being an ass to the admin or just the alias.

Commercial break: Did know the ru_exp, Ricky Bobby, and -infidel- were the same damn person? >>>penis,penis,penis<<<

Anyway, I truly believe that this rule was aimed at hacks and banned people aliasing.

I will vote for an unban on two conditions: a $50 server donation through Paypal and that the unbanned person not be allowed to join -Id-'s VCTF team not even as an alternate. :roll:

***mush, mush***

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

ru_exp wrote:and that the unbanned person not be allowed to join -Id-'s VCTF team not even as an alternate.
WELL THEN FORGET IT!

Linkon
Killing Spree

Post by Linkon »

funny thing is this is the only server that uses this rule

when you play on alot of ons and tam servers you get use to changing names (which i do) and when you come to this server and find out you can't it is a real "wtf rule" moment

I understand this is your guys server but 2 years admining myself (phx servers, cod4 ut2k4, cod5) why make a rule like that?

im not sure if he was an ass to an admin that is a different matter completly. now that aside what does he have to do to be unbanned?

cheers

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Why is there a thread on this? Just ask Jim/Papa and they will probably unban him.
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

lil Sin
Holy sh*t!

Post by lil Sin »

Ghosted wrote:Why is there a thread on this? Just ask Jim/Papa and they will probably unban him.
no doubt!

lil Sin
Holy sh*t!

Post by lil Sin »

-Id- wrote:Point is, Sin, new people to the server, which I think Linkon's friend was, do not know about the aliasing rule.
more then likely the rule follows 90 % of all servers in the 2k4 world?

im due to donate as well i get paid on the 1st and 15th ill donate 100.00 :D anyone want to match me? :D
Last edited by lil Sin on Fri May 29, 2009 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

vapor
Holy sh*t!

Post by vapor »

Ghosted wrote:Why is there a thread on this? Just ask Jim/Papa and they will probably unban him.
I agree with ghosted....for once

-Id- iot
Dominating

Post by -Id- iot »

lil Sin wrote:more then likely the rule follows 90 % of all servers in the 2k4 world?
Nah. As far as I can recall, this server and the BEL server (and maybe one other old, obscure VCTF server that I cannot remember) are the only servers that I have ever seen that have an aliasing rule.

The reason this rule seems to only appear in VCTF is because, somewhere down the road, someone implanted the idea into the heads of VCTF community members that aliasing is something only cheaters do so that they can hide. What they did not seem to realize was that most people alias because they think of a funny name, or to play anonymously on an off night, or to avoid drama, etc..

There is no harm in aliasing. Besides, like I mentioned before, with the whois command aliasing is hardly aliasing at all.