Sportsmanshizt

Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

Should the coach have apologized for what happened?

Poll ended at Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:36 pm

A. YES. Unsportsman like conduct
33%
B. NO. The game is the game. Stop whining!
67%

Total votes: 12

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Sportsmanshizt

Post by ru_exp »

http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9134384?MSNHPHMA

Have you guys been keeping up with this story? The guy just got fried because he would not apologize for his girls basketball team winning 100-0.

I am all for sportsmanship but if someone/a team just lays down in competition why should I stop competing? The team that lost in winless over the last few years. Why not just cancel the program rather than bemoaning the fact that they are getting killed.

Anyway, I'm just saying... :arrow:

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Re: Sportsmanshizt

Post by McShagger »

Common... winning is winning, but at some point you have to feel bad for the other team. We have all been there before and I dont think any of us stepped up our game or made any points to drive the message home. Personally, I think the coach is a dick! I would have taken out all the starters and given the bench a chance for some game play.

Now, if this were professional sports, I would probably feel fine going the other way.

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

I personally think that the opposing coach should have just fail 'n' bailed. The team should been pulled at half time. 59-0 is pretty much the omen that this was not going to turn out good.

But as the winning coach...no, I am not going to feel bad because my intent is not to humiliate but to play the game.

I saw Larry Holmes beg a referee to stop a fight between him and Randall "Tex" Cobb. Cobb kept getting up for more punishment and the ref allowed it to go on. You could hardly recognize Cobb when it was over.

To this date that was the most disgusting beating I have ever seen in pro boxing.

If you leave you team to be expose to a massive butt kicking then oh well.

tape`
Dominating

Post by tape` »

thats bullshit...

i went with B.

he should not have to make any kind of apology, its winning or losing. Isnt that how sports work?
only time will tell

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

So did the losing team even try? I mean, they didn't make one friggin' basket??? That article says the the losing school is for underachievers anyway. I don't think the guy should have been fired. His team played, I'm sure within the rules, and they won. It's that simple.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

My wife brought this up last night at dinner. She ask me to define sportsanship...so I pointed out to her that sportmanship has nothing to do with the ineptitude of your competition. If it is not your intent to denegrate, humiliate, or to decimate your opponent, then let the game be as it may. But if your opponent lies down...should you lie down with them?

I have never been a big supporter of these little league groups that hand out trophies to everyone that competes. Kids are much more astute than we give them credit. Why would you want a trophy to remind that you failed? They know the difference between getting first place and finishing dead last.

IMHO they should have terminate the losing coach immediately. Why subject your "team" to a monumental ass kicking? What did they learn from it?

Side note: In Asian cultures, failure to excel to hardly tolerated. Their school systems make ours look like jokes. They have an extremely competitive education system from kindergarten. There is something to be said about the positive aspects of this.

Sorry about the rant...but the issue is deeper than a high school girls basketball game. It is symbolic the systemic wasteland the pervades our culture.

:|

emc.johnnie
Killing Spree

Post by emc.johnnie »

they should have a mercy rule!