Maps not starting, long download...any ideas?

Discuss VCTF in both UT2004 and UT3

Moderator: Admins

Doc

Maps not starting, long download...any ideas?

Post by Doc »

Hi all, have a wierd problem and can't figure it out. When I try to join a game on the CTC server (and only happens on the CTC server), the map will do the initial download very quickly and then starts to download the same map again but very, very slowly. I never get to the redirect. I have let the second download go and it just keeps going, well past 100%. I uninstalled/reinstalled the entire game, no luck. Searched the internet and found post's with the same problem but no fix, just something about changing something in the cache.ini but my cache did not have what it was that it was talking about??? It was something about 777? I have been able to connect only twice but other than that, same problem. I die I mean play a lot on the HOG server with no problems. Any ideas? Besides "just play on the Hog server"...lol

Thanks

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Maps not starting, long download...any ideas?

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Thanks for posting this, Doc. Right off the bat I don't know what to tell you. Do you remember what map(s) this has happened on? I know you said it happens every time you try to join our server, but maybe those times the server was running a map that doesn't get played all that much. I've noticed the problem of the download going past 100%. That usually happens if you have a map by the same name in your cache or maps folder, but the map the server is downloading is actually different. I don't know why this would happen, but that's the only time I've noticed it. Let me know what maps it has happened on, and I'll look further into it.

Thanks!
"The abyss gazes also into you"

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Also check this just to be sure: Do you have the most recent patch 3369? Do you have the ECE packs and all bonus material installed? Do you remember what order you installed them in? IIRC, there is an issue with the order of installing, but I can't for the life of me remember the particulars.

Depending on your answer, I'd try to reinstall from original media, patch to 3369, then try to connect before installing any other bonus material or whatever. I don't like to suggest reinstalling (you said you already did that once), but it's pretty quick with UT2k4!

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Doc wrote:Hi all, have a wierd problem and can't figure it out. When I try to join a game on the CTC server (and only happens on the CTC server), the map will do the initial download very quickly and then starts to download the same map again but very, very slowly. I never get to the redirect. I have let the second download go and it just keeps going, well past 100%. I uninstalled/reinstalled the entire game, no luck. Searched the internet and found post's with the same problem but no fix, just something about changing something in the cache.ini but my cache did not have what it was that it was talking about??? It was something about 777? I have been able to connect only twice but other than that, same problem. I die I mean play a lot on the HOG server with no problems. Any ideas? Besides "just play on the Hog server"...lol

Thanks
ROFL!!! I die... I mean play a lot too. :lol:

CTC-Darth
Dominating

Post by CTC-Darth »

I remember having that same problem in a certain server a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly , I cleaned my cache and installed a new line in my ini file and all ways good after that. I will look and see if I can find those instructions but it was sometime ago. You mentioned you didnt see the line in your ini the instructions mentioned, so were the instructions maybe asking you to add it in manually?

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

I think this happens if you have a map in your folder with the same name but different parameters. What I mean is this as an example:

actioncity=36 megs

dl new version that has a glitch fixed, 36.2 megs.

the game will be confused and be unable to remedy it logically. So, clear out your cache and try again!

All hail the Beef!

CTC-Darth
Dominating

Post by CTC-Darth »

Speaking of cleaning cache, there used to be this great tool for that. It was a UT cache cleaner that would check your cache and see if there was any conflicts and then allow you to delete the offending file if you wanted to. It seemed to work well, but I havent been able to find it online recently. I know there are cache cleaners that wipe out your entire cache and I am not refering to those. This one only highlighted possible problem files. If anyone knows about it and has a link, please post it.

~ Thanks

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

I believe this UT Cache Extractor tool that Beltamaxx posted last week can fix cache problems:
http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?iuivmd9dzgi

Doc

Post by Doc »

Thanks for the replies but no luck. I did a complete un/reinstall without the bonus pack, updated patch, turned off firewall, all security, and had same problem. Know it is not the cache because it was empty after fresh install. I tried on AArdvark (sp?), Actioncity, Binary and Resurection, all the same problem. I searched ie for a while trying to find the post about the line in the .ini file I mentioned but could not find it. Also download that "cache cleaner" and it showed no files in my cache (and no cash in my files). I went to Hogs server and had no problems but did notice the hang up is in/after the first downlowd, in otherwords it is not switching to the next mutator to download, just goes back to the first one. On Hog it downloaded map, then the mutators one after the other then the splash screen came up. On CTC it downloads map, lets say file size 3344k and does it very fast to 100% then goes back (starts over) to same download, file size 3344k and goes about 1% every 3-4 seconds. I'll keep searching and if anyone has ideas please let me know, Thanks.

Doc

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Take the ShotGun to it that's what I would do. :lol:
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

x-GAMBIT-x wrote:Take the ShotGun to it that's what I would do. :lol:
Yeah. I've felt like doing that sometimes. :)

CTC-Darth
Dominating

Post by CTC-Darth »

Hey Doc, dont give up man! I am sure you can find a solution and we want you playing in the server.

Bean, thanks for posting the link. Not sure how I missed it but thats the one I was looking for.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

CTC-JimRimya wrote:Also check this just to be sure: Do you have the most recent patch 3369? Do you have the ECE packs and all bonus material installed? Do you remember what order you installed them in? IIRC, there is an issue with the order of installing, but I can't for the life of me remember the particulars.

Depending on your answer, I'd try to reinstall from original media, patch to 3369, then try to connect before installing any other bonus material or whatever. I don't like to suggest reinstalling (you said you already did that once), but it's pretty quick with UT2k4!
Hey Jim - I'm not the computer wiz that you are, but I'm thinking maybe it's some setting in his windows or maybe the firewall.

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Mr Bean,
Yeah, that was my thought as well, but he said that he turned off his firewall and all security stuff. I'm searched some today on this problem and came up with nothing. I'll keep looking, Doc.

Doc

Post by Doc »

Thanks for the help. I reloded the game several ways, with bonus material, without bonus material, latest patch as the last load, latest patch then bonus material....no luck. I was able to play one map last night, DeathTrap but the next map (ActionCity) did the same thing (repeated same map load very slow). I was thinking it was either a windows or my Netgear router. I messed with different settings on the router but I definantly know nothing about routers...plug-n-play kinda guy. But, would think if either of those were the problem I would have the same problem on other servers. Anyway, I'll keep messing around.