Robbed

Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Robbed

Post by ru_exp »

I am shocked Illinois did not make it to the NCAA tourney...dang.

Double overtime against Ohio State in the semi-final and still nothing.

Was there a more deserving team?

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Re: Robbed

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

I have to admit, I don't follow this tourney all that closely. I love watching it though. It seems that there are a few commentators that are irked with the selection of teams.

All hail the Beef!

Tiggrrrr
Holy sh*t!

Post by Tiggrrrr »

I love your Beeker dude!!!!~
Beaker? lol!~ Looks weird now
I typed it :wink:

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Tiggrrrr wrote:I love your Beeker dude!!!!~
Beaker? lol!~ Looks weird now
I typed it :wink:

Yes, Beaker the assistant to Dr. Bunsen Honeydew...looks like he's had too much coffee.

kronx
Killing Spree

Post by kronx »

tl;dr

vapor
Holy sh*t!

Post by vapor »

ru_exp wrote:I am shocked Illinois did not make it to the NCAA tourney...dang.

Double overtime against Ohio State in the semi-final and still nothing.

Was there a more deserving team?
Almost winning doesnt really help a lot

they didnt really have a great resume to get in. The only wins against rpi top 25 were wisconsin in the big 10 tourney and at home. Wisconsin is terrible on the road. and only 6-10 against top 100. they didnt make it to 20 wins and 8 of their 19 wins were against teams ranked 200 or below.

The two lowest seeded at large bids were utep and utah state, both 12s. utah was 1-0 against top 25 and 10-5 against top 100. Utep did lose its only top 25 game but was still 8-4 against top 75 teams.

The illini had a pretty poor record against quality opponents. Va tech was the other one that people bitch about because they were 23-8 but they loaded up on wins vs shitty wins being 15-1 vs teams ranked over 100.

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

I knew I could count on you to straighten me out vapor. I was watching ESPN yesterday and one of the commentators said the most poignant thing of all.

To paraphrase: "Everyone is harping about who got the short end of the stick by not being chosen for the tournament. What you are basically saying is "Hey, we are better than the bottom teams in the tournament!!"...well that's not saying much. The point is to pick the best teams from their prospective regions. And if you failed to get recognized for the basic premise of making it then what are the odds you will become the national champs? The object is to win it all, not just participate in the tournament. We are spending too much time on teams that won't even win the NIT."

All I could say was wow...but the guy is right. Out of North Carolina, Illinois, and VT I wonder if any of them will win the NIT.

vapor
Holy sh*t!

Post by vapor »

ru_exp wrote:I knew I could count on you to straighten me out vapor. I was watching ESPN yesterday and one of the commentators said the most poignant thing of all.

To paraphrase: "Everyone is harping about who got the short end of the stick by not being chosen for the tournament. What you are basically saying is "Hey, we are better than the bottom teams in the tournament!!"...well that's not saying much. The point is to pick the best teams from their prospective regions. And if you failed to get recognized for the basic premise of making it then what are the odds you will become the national champs? The object is to win it all, not just participate in the tournament. We are spending too much time on teams that won't even win the NIT."

All I could say was wow...but the guy is right. Out of North Carolina, Illinois, and VT I wonder if any of them will win the NIT.
Actually the guys wrong, region playes a role in seeding, but a team is not left out based on region. And the whole failed to fail to advance arguement is a little flawed since the lowest at large teams are usually in the 11-13 range, where teams have roughly an 20-25% chance of getting to the second round, meaning better recruiting and greater revenue. The tournament isnt about who wins really, if they wanted that only like the top 16 would be in it, they choose the teams with a proven track record of competing and upseting the best teams. His arguement that these teams wouldnt even win the NIT dont make much sense either, because the tourny snubs get the highest seeds. Most of the espn analysts are retarded (course doenst stop me from wasting hours a day on the channel :D ). Lunardis the man though.