Grappling hook on scorpion

Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

SchnappySausage

Grappling hook on scorpion

Post by SchnappySausage »

Hey all

I talked to badasp and a few others about this a couple of days ago, and I just wanted to show you guys what exactly I was talking about..

Here's a video of my hacked carball version that adds a grappling hook to the vehicle:

http://cbleague.net/CBNinjaRopeVid.html
If the link above doesn't load the video, you can download it here:
http://cbleague.net/ropecb.wmv

I could set this up on my server and let you guys try it out, if you'd like..

There's a lot of stuff that can be changed and adjusted, so if you have any ideas on how the rope should work, let me know and I'll see what I can do. Right now the rope works with a charging mechanism. The longer you hold the fire button, the farther the rope will be thrown once you let go of the button. And there's a slight refire delay to prevent spam.

I wasn't able to turn this into a standalone mutator for CarBall, so I had to edit the original CB files. Because of that, I wouldn't recommend using this on any server, as it will make players that have regular CB installed get a version mismatch error unless they replace their CBall.u file with the modified one (then replace back to play on a regular CB server). It can also be a little buggy when picking up the ball with the rope, and it will occasionally make the server crash.

However, I also have an almost-finished version of the same thing, but for the Scorpion buggy (with no carball support). It has all the same functionality, and it could be added as a simple mutator to the Scorpion, which would be fun for some of the vehicle maps with a lot of obstacles, like the team-coop maps, etc..

Schnap

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Re: Grappling hook on scorpion

Post by Mr Bean »

That is sooooo cool! They look like little spider-man cars. I think that would be a cool mod for vctf as well. Is it possible?

Knave_Skye
Cock-docker

Post by Knave_Skye »

still waiting for you to give me this so i can play around with it =P
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."
-- Norman Cousins
<{CTC}> Knave_Skye

mudpuppet
Holy sh*t!

Post by mudpuppet »

Epic stuff Schnaps ! goodjob

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Carball needs oilslicks.

MikeFiend
Cock-docker

Post by MikeFiend »

I have no clue as to what I just watched...

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

That looks like fun not too mention it would be easy to do some of those trial maps
:D :D :D
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

badasp
Holy sh*t!

Post by badasp »

That looks absolutely incredible. I can't wait to play with it as I am sure it will be a blast. As soon as it's done send it to me and I'll put it on the private server. Thanks greatly for your contribution and welcome to the forums. :D

emc.johnnie
Killing Spree

Post by emc.johnnie »

thats kool! also, the link gun should be able to grapple to other teammates,especially when someone is in a vehicle like a raptor, u can grapple to it and fly across the screen while holding down right click. besides, its an easy target to shoot them down when up in the air like that so its not an invinceable move

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

That's pretty dang cool! I like at the very end where the grapple cord is being used like a rubber band to move the ball around. It would be great fun to play with this. Let us know when it is ready.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

It would be cool if you posted the packages needed to run it. Otherwise let us know where you server is so we can test it out. Very cool stuff... I definitely want to check out the physics on that bad boy.
loving this clan run by morans!

SchnappySausage

Mr Bean wrote:That is sooooo cool! They look like little spider-man cars. I think that would be a cool mod for vctf as well. Is it possible?
Yeah, it's definitely possible. Since the VCTF maps use the Onslaught scorpion, this mutator would apply to the VCTF gametype as well.

emc.johnnie wrote:thats kool! also, the link gun should be able to grapple to other teammates,especially when someone is in a vehicle like a raptor, u can grapple to it and fly across the screen while holding down right click. besides, its an easy target to shoot them down when up in the air like that so its not an invinceable move
The current version I have is pretty much already the way you described, with the exception that you don't have to hold right click. You can hook onto any other vehicle from either team, as well as other people, so you can just grab the flag carrier himself and pull him along, kind of like wakeboarding. Right now, when you grapple another vehicle, you can pull the ones that are lighter than you, while heavier vehicles will pull you. We might have to add a timer on how long you can hold onto other players, to avoid griefing
x-GAMBIT-x wrote:That looks like fun not too mention it would be easy to do some of those trial maps
:D :D :D
The majority of the more challenging vehicle maps will become way too easy with the grappling hook, that is for sure. Other maps such as open, outdoor maps with no walls or ceilings would not benefit from the grappling hook at all. It would be great if we could gather a list of maps that are suitable for play with this mutator, and only allow it to be used on those maps.
v0idNull wrote:It would be cool if you posted the packages needed to run it. Otherwise let us know where you server is so we can test it out. Very cool stuff... I definitely want to check out the physics on that bad boy.
I'll send it to the CTC guys once it's done. I'm still adding a few things, like being able to control whether to pull or extend the rope, as well as a toggle between mouse aim (fire where crosshair is pointing) and vehicle aim (fire straight ahead).

I don't want you guys to get the impression that this thing is all that awesome. There are a few drawbacks to it.. I think the biggest issue we would have with putting this mutator on CTC is the grapple-spam we'd get from having 16 people firing their grappling hooks at once all over the place, not to mention I've never tested this on a server with more than 8 people on. The carball version of this mutator caused the server to crash sometimes, and more frequently with more players on the server. I haven't stress-tested this version yet, although both these issues could be remedied by placing only a handful of grapple-scorpion spawns on the map. There are also a few other quirks and bugs that I most likely won't get the patience to hunt down and fix.

Badasp, I have an unfinished version of the mutator set up and running on my server. If you and a few others would like to check it out, go on xfire, and I'll give you the server info. I'd like to try it on some of those co-op maps, and possibly make changes to the mutator so it's more suited to playing in them.

Deathstrike
Dominating

Post by Deathstrike »

Cannot wait. :D

Going to a lot more elements to carball.
One more job and then its rio for me. - Badasp (September 11, 2010)

SchnappySausage

Deathstrike wrote:Cannot wait. :D

Going to a lot more elements to carball.

Well, the mutator I am working on will not be for carball. I showed you guys the CB version of this mutator in the video so you get an idea of what it will be like. The grappling hook mutator for CB is a little buggy, it makes the server crash on occasion, and isn't all that great with lots of players. And as I said earlier, it replaces the entire CB package, so people who have the original CB would get a version mismatch.

The mutator I am working on right now will replace the scorpion with the grappling-hook scorpion, so it may be used on any vehicle maps such as Vehicle CTF, Onslaught, vehicle co-op maps, etc, but not CB.

I wouldn't completely rule out a stable CB version in the future though. It just needs a lot of work put into it before it's playable with lots of people

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

Id wrote:Carball is dead, it had its good run though.
I disagree
loving this clan run by morans!