Killing Spree

Re: Your first computer?

Post by emc.johnnie »

mines was a amd p3 200mhz, 128bit ram 80gig hd, standard vid card

Cornfed
Holy sh*t!

Post by Cornfed »

I bought a used Commodore VIC 20 with all the goodies from a friend that upgraded to an Apple IIE in 1984.

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Rather than tell you the whole long story, the is my first internet usage and the first computer I ever used: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PLATO_system

By the way...peep the Trekky game. One of the first games played "online". AWESOME FUN!!!!

WarDad71
Cock-docker

Post by WarDad71 »

Had a VIC 20 also when I was in high school.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

My dad was a 30 year IBM'er. Started in 1969 as an electrical engineer, then got offered a programming job in 1970 and did that for the other 29 years. Seems like it was around 1982 when he brought home that big 'ole IBM PC. It had a 5.25" floppy (don't touch the shiney part :lol: ) and no hard drive. IBM DOS was loaded from the floppy and I guess held in RAM or something. At first, we had it hooked up to a b&w TV, then later got a black and amber monitor. Shortly after my older brother got an Apple][plus and was taking a programming class in high school. That computer had an external 5.25" floppy. At age ten I was wrighting simple programs in basica, then moved on to pascal and logo. Pascal had a WAY better stucture than basica (never should have been invented). My favorite games were Zork, Beer Run, Jumpman, Loadrunner, and Wizardry.

*edit: In my freshman year of HS my Dad got IBM's first portable (not laptop). It was the size of a small suitcase and was really heavy. It had a small built in monitor probably 7 or 8 inch.

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Someone just pointed out to me that the photo I posted PLATO computer looked like it was in a museum.

I am old...*~sigh~* :roll:

CTC-JimRimya
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by CTC-JimRimya »

Some good stories! So ru, you witnessed the Internet on that PLATO computer? That's hot!
My first computer was an Apple//e in spring of 1983. Like Bean I programmed in Basic and then Pascal, and had a grand old time with it. I lost interest in computers until the later 486s (dx66, dx100, etc) came out, and I've been building x86 based computers and networking them since then.
"The abyss gazes also into you"

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

presario 225Mhz, 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppy drives, windows 3.1, probably 40 mb of storage I can't remember. No commodore like some of you who like showing your age and no Intel quad core like Dubya either.

BTW emc, my machine sounds very close to what you had... 80 gigs of HDD sounds like an awful lot for those specs...
loving this clan run by morans!

emc.johnnie
Killing Spree

Post by emc.johnnie »

v0idNull wrote:presario 225Mhz, 3.5 and 5.25 inch floppy drives, windows 3.1, probably 40 mb of storage I can't remember. No commodore like some of you who like showing your age and no Intel quad core like Dubya either.

BTW emc, my machine sounds very close to what you had... 80 gigs of HDD sounds like an awful lot for those specs...

absolutely! i can also remember it generating so much heat,was incredible. no real fan technology then,lol

-T2-
Dominating

Post by -T2- »

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

Classic! My cousin had that one. Brings back fond memories of Munchman and Donkey Kong.

Ghosted
Cock-docker

Post by Ghosted »

Void. Shouldn't your sig say 'SELF BANNED'?
Friend + Friend + Friend - Titanfall = -1

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

v0idNull for president