Headset Recommendations?

Latest news and general discussion.

Moderator: Admins

-T2-
Dominating

Headset Recommendations?

Post by -T2- »

OK, looks like I am in need of a new headset because my current one, a 3 year old Plantronics DSP-500, is going south. The mic is only working part of the time it seems. Do you guys have any suggestions or recommendations? I welcome your input.

I prefer full ear coverage for those long gaming sessions. My head/ears don't like the behind the neck style of headphones.

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Re: Headset Recommendations?

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

I agree with ya T2 on the headset style,

Me I just use a Logitech one it works great for me, untill I walk away from the
PC and I forget I have it cliped on my shirt and it rips it off and hits the floor
one too many time's and eventualy I loose sound in one ear at times.

And my mic is flexable to move it around were I need it at, I don't care for the stiff
one's were you can only move it up or down.
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

CTC-Salchicha
Cock-docker

Post by CTC-Salchicha »

I have these:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/pr ... sid=500922

I have had really good luck with mine. I have two pairs in fact...just in case, ha. Actually I use the other one through my receiver when I really want to hear the Lakers play. You can hear every screech and thud with them on. They have a really nice sound and they don't hurt my noggin. I paid like 50 for mine. I bought the second pair on the used section at HardForum for about 30. Then there are these:

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/newsite/pr ... sid=502141

Which is what a hardcore Gamer like yourself needs. Bro, don't be a wimp, man up and get them! You'd be so cool.

Tell me how they sound, lol.

All hail the Beef!

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Platronics sux. I never got really satisfied with any headsets and have had a few... I am also partial to headsets that cover the whole ear. I also would prefer to have mic and headphone jack rather than use usb so I can plug it directly into my sound card. As a result, Ive limited myself to options.

Anyway, I bought the steelsound 3H and that was the last time I bought a headset. I find them extremely comfortable. Most importantly, the sound is great. That said, Ive never spent more than $50 for a headset and these fit the bill.
http://www.xsreviews.co.uk/reviews/head ... h-headset/

If price is no option, I would say get Medusa. http://www.medusa-usa.com/medusa-51-hom ... p-876.html
Crap! They've gotten cheap! Back when I was checking them out they were like $200-300.

Also, what Sal posted looks like something I would like to check out too.
Last edited by McShagger on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mudpuppet
Holy sh*t!

Post by mudpuppet »

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6826289001

horrible reviews of late , lol , but I love mine .
disco lights have off switch , also .
USB , with a switch to send the audio back to your speakers when your done .
mute button , volume and vibrate roller on your inline remote .
you would have to review the mic quality for me .
grip your ears like a drunken priest .

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

McShagger...I think I just fell for the Medusa headset. It is time that I quit taping up my old Turtle Beach surround sounds.

Thanks for the suggestion

:mrgreen:

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

ru_exp wrote:McShagger...I think I just fell for the Medusa headset. It is time that I quit taping up my old Turtle Beach surround sounds.

Thanks for the suggestion

:mrgreen:
Yep, the surround sound with like 10 different speakers is awesomeness... I would have bought it back then, but could not justify spending $300.00 on a headset, especially, since I kept going through so many...Couldnt be sure Id stick to them... Something might piss me off about them, like being too loose, too heavy, too hot, the external power supply, etc...

Tiggrrrr
Holy sh*t!

Post by Tiggrrrr »

8) I have gone through a number of headsets.
The cheap ones work pretty well.
I bought a $50.00 one as appose to a $20.00 one.
The difference is the quality of course,
and how many times you want to replace them.
Mind you the cheap one I've got right now has lasted
a good long time :P (knock on wood lol!).
Logitech I believe. :wink:
~Alyson~ aka <{CTC}>Tiggrrrr^^^^

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

I like thes ones...

ru_exp
Cock-docker

Post by ru_exp »

Good set Bean...I'll take three pair.

And please include the extra muffs.............................. :roll:

x-GAMBIT-x
Cock-docker

Post by x-GAMBIT-x »

Tiggrrrr wrote:8)
Mind you the cheap one I've got right now has lasted
a good long time :P (knock on wood lol!).
Logitech I believe.
Thats what I have to had mine for almost 2yrs.
I think it would have lasted longer too if I didn't drop it
so many times......... :D
D/L Maps for CTC Server+More-> http://ctc-map-downloads.synthasite.com
Gambit Just Dealt You The Card of Death!!!!!

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

I've been looking at these AKG's.
headphone.com wrote:The 701's

AKG has brought their considerable audio engineering skills into sharp focus on their high-end dynamic headphone designs and produced an astonishingly good-sounding pair of cans in the K701 model. Getting it absolutely right at this demanding level of reference-grade audio performance is tough and the K701 gets pretty darn near perfection. These cans deliver a dynamic and punchy sound, articulate and clear over the full audio spectrum. Bass lovers should appreciate the clean punch and tightly focused bottom-end control of these headphones. Classical and acoustic music fans will likewise love the fact that the dynamic control moves right on up the frequency range to distinctly articulate every finger pluck and rosin-on-gut string texture in the sound mix. About the only thing that we can possibly say bad about these headphones is that those who like a very laid-back, mellow or heavy bass presentation might want to look elsewhere since these are certainly highly refined, audiophile-oriented headphones that deliver a smooth impact, textural detail and liquid immediacy that demands your attention. And…oh!...what a lovely demand it is.
http://www.headphone.com/products/headp ... pgrade.php

Headphone has them listed at $450 but if you look them up on google you can find them for half that.
loving this clan run by morans!

McShagger
Holy sh*t!

Post by McShagger »

Wheres the mic on those? Anyway, I think I will be getting those medusas in a few months. Ive been wanting those really bad. And now they are way affordable.

Mr Bean
Cock-docker

Post by Mr Bean »

v0idNull wrote:I've been looking at these AKG's.
headphone.com wrote:The 701's

AKG has brought their considerable audio engineering skills into sharp focus on their high-end dynamic headphone designs and produced an astonishingly good-sounding pair of cans in the K701 model. Getting it absolutely right at this demanding level of reference-grade audio performance is tough and the K701 gets pretty darn near perfection. These cans deliver a dynamic and punchy sound, articulate and clear over the full audio spectrum. Bass lovers should appreciate the clean punch and tightly focused bottom-end control of these headphones. Classical and acoustic music fans will likewise love the fact that the dynamic control moves right on up the frequency range to distinctly articulate every finger pluck and rosin-on-gut string texture in the sound mix. About the only thing that we can possibly say bad about these headphones is that those who like a very laid-back, mellow or heavy bass presentation might want to look elsewhere since these are certainly highly refined, audiophile-oriented headphones that deliver a smooth impact, textural detail and liquid immediacy that demands your attention. And…oh!...what a lovely demand it is.
http://www.headphone.com/products/headp ... pgrade.php

Headphone has them listed at $450 but if you look them up on google you can find them for half that.
They must sound pretty awesome. I take it those plugs are for studio use. Do they make a 1/4 inch varient?

v0idNull
Holy sh*t!

Post by v0idNull »

Bean - I believe those are the balanced fat pipe upgraded headphones that go into your xlr-output headphone amp. I believe they go for about $300 retail with the 1/4 inch plug.
loving this clan run by morans!